What is the Student Innovation Center?
Iowa State University offers a transformative student experience rich in new ideas, diverse perspectives, and imaginative people so that students can be inspired to think differently and create change. The Student Innovation Center is the nexus for that change.
The Student Innovation Center, opened August 2020, is unique in size, scope, and involvement. The 140,000-square-foot, five-floor facility is a resource serving the entire university community with unique facilities and workspaces to foster innovation across all aspects of Iowa State’s land-grant mission.
There’s something for everyone. Every college has space in the Student Innovation Center – but only 40 percent of the building is allocated to colleges. The other 60 percent is shared, collaborative space.
It provides a welcoming and vibrant environment where all university stakeholders can find resources to foster new ideas, creativity, experimentation, evaluation, and entrepreneurship; especially at the intersection of traditional disciplines.
Iowa State’s Student Innovation Center is made possible by the generous gifts of donors and financial support from the State of Iowa.
Frequently asked questions
When did the center open?
The Student Innovation Center opened in August 2020, welcoming students, faculty, staff, and community members through its doors.
How has the center responded to COVID-19?
The Student Innovation Center has taken precautions based on the latest Iowa State University campus policies, consultations with the ISU Office of Risk Management, health guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), other public health organizations, and staff input. We remain committed to the health and safety of center visitors, and our goal is to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 to the greatest extent possible. With that in mind, we have plans in place to help mitigate possible spread, while maintaining access to center facilities and services.
Is the center open to anyone?
Whether you’re a student looking to study or collaborate on a project, a professor hoping to teach a class within our state-of-the-art facility, a group hoping to invent the next big thing, or a community member interested in supporting student entrepreneurs by buying a new scarf or hot cup of coffee, the Student Innovation Center is here for you.
What can I do at the center?
The Student Innovation Center has makerspaces for wood, metal, plastic, glass, textiles, composite materials and electronics, and the professional staff and student assistants who make training and access simple.
The center also has 13 meeting rooms, special project areas, an exhibit gallery, a step-a-torium, two multipurpose rooms, four open co-working areas, informal gathering areas, and event spaces.
And there’s still even more to discover.
Lunar testing, assembly bays, composites, misc/shared fabrication, media production suite, special projects, meeting rooms, auditorium (university classroom), dyno testing, engineering capstone project suite, gaming lab, student organization offices.
Wet workshop, paint booth/finishes, supply store, gaffer’s guild, retail, retail storage, exhibit storage, meeting room, small exhibit, large exhibit, multipurpose room, metal and wood fabrication and assembly, two assembly bays, outdoor makerspace.
Open assembly digital fabrication and textiles electronics, STEM help room, meeting rooms, learning spaces, (two university classrooms), open co-working, print center, SICTR admin, secure assembly, assembly bay, student org offices, design build/design option studio, outdoor special projects, digital modeling and visualization laboratory, BPMI, engineering capstone project suite.
Engineering capstone project suite, entrepreneurship hubs, learning space (university classroom), meeting rooms, student organization offices, open co-working, demonstration kitchen, CyBiz, planting beds.
Industrial design sponsored studios, meeting rooms, student media publication studio, learning space (university classroom), project suite, multi-purpose, student-run café, open collaboration/café seating.
Student Innovation Center Staff
For general questions, please contact the Student Innovation Center at 515-294-2649.
Innovation Program Staff
Come visit the Student Innovation Center, and don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions!
The center’s administrative office, Room 2118, is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and can be reached at 515-294-2649.
For inquiries relating to Innovation Programs or Innovation Fellows, contact email@example.com.
Building Open Hours
Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 9 p.m.
These don’t reflect business hours for offices within the building. The building and offices are closed during university holidays.